In this world of quick messages and short, satisfying spurts of content, the immediate impression is the often the one that endures. If your branding is memorable, people will remember it forever. That is what sticky branding is. Branding that endures.
In business, branding is so important. It really is true that the first impression is critical to your continued success. Your branding must touch people on some emotional level. If it does, they will have a very difficult time forgetting it. If done effectively, it will cause other people to want to know more about your business and what you are offering. What needs to happen first is that your prospective client is interested enough to want to pursue more information about you and your business. Next, you want them to become more intimately acquainted with what you are offering. Your objective is to get them to touch it, feel it, taste it, and feel that they can’t live without it. The more appealing your branding and actual products and/or services are, the more people will want them. There are many factors that go into making branding stick. One very important factor is your target market. Remember that your target market has to match what you are selling perfectly. If it does, the sky will be the limit.
Before you design your branding, there are certain important concepts that you should think carefully about including.
- Make an impression: Whatever you do, you can never be mediocre. Consider all of the work that went into building your branding business, including your concepts, products and/or services, look and feel, etc. If you always keep that in mind, you will never settle for less than spectacular.
- Have an established concept: When you are presenting information that represents who and what you are, you need to make sure that your “voice” comes through in everything that is connected to your business.
- Always have your audience in mind: Of course, the ultimate goal when it comes to your business is to become a tremendous success. However, just like a rock star who would never have achieved success without his or her fans, you will not achieve success without your target market. You simply can’t do it without them.
- Aesthetics are critical: If your branding is just a bunch of words without any aesthetic appeal, nobody will stay. The concepts for your business are key but the aesthetic appeal of your branding (whether it is a web presence or some other type of branding) is just as important.
- Always present the entire picture: When it comes to your business’s branding, it is very important to tell the whole story. People need to understand the story and they need to be able to relate to your story in a way that touches them. They need to be made to feel that they can relate to your story because they have lived through it themselves.
- Be as creative as possible: People love creativity and they love to be “wowed.” If you can come up with ideas that put a new spin on a concept, you will most likely get very positive results. People will react favorably to what you are offering them. It will make your business seem fresh, innovative, and exciting.
- Combine technology with solid, down-to-earth values: Technology is a wonderful thing, especially when it comes to sticky branding. When you combine it with concepts that are basic and solid—concepts that are important to everyone—you will have a winning combination. How you present your branding is as important as the branding itself.
- After you have created the branding, walk a way for a time: You have worked so hard on the branding for your business. That is a wonderful thing. However, you may be a little too close to it at that point. If you step away and do something completely different for a little while, when you return, you may very well have a fresh and interesting perspective. You may have ideas that didn’t occur to you before.
- Don’t give away the entire store: As tempting as it is to share all that you have and all that you know, you must resist. The more cryptic you are, the more people will want to know more. That is simply human nature. Remember, it is very important for your branding to be relatable to other people. After all, it isn’t exclusively for you. It is for them also.
Branding is one of the cornerstones of you business and having the ability to create sticky branding means that you and your business will soon become a household name. The presentation of your brand is equally important to the quality of the content. Your branding will be on everyone’s lips and on everyone’s mind. If you follow the advice that has been given here, your branding will be strong, effective, and memorable.
We are pleased to provide you with the insightful comments contained herein. For a free assessment of your online presence, let's have coffee.
Michael Cohn is the founder and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of CompuKol Communications LLC. He has over 25 years of experience in IT and web technologies.
Mr. Cohn founded CompuKol Communications to help small businesses and entrepreneurs increase their exposure and reputation on the Internet. CompuKol consults, creates, and implements communication strategies for small businesses to monopolize their markets with a unique business voice, vision, and visibility.
Prior to that, Mr. Cohn spent a significant amount of time at a major telecommunications company, where his main focus was on initiating and leading synergy efforts across all business units by dramatically improving efficiency, online collaboration, and the company’s Intranet capabilities, which accelerated gains in business productivity. His expertise includes social media marketing strategies; internet marketing; web presence design; business analysis; project management; management of global cross-matrix teams; systems engineering and analysis, architecture, prototyping and integration; technology evaluation and assessment; systems development; performance evaluation; and management of off-shore development.
Mr. Cohn earned a Master’s degree in project management from George Washington University in Washington, DC; and a Master’s degree in computer science and a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from Fairleigh Dickinson University in Teaneck, NJ.
Mr. Cohn is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
Latest posts by Michael Cohn (see all)
- The Best Ways to Connect With Your Audience on Social Media - July 21, 2014
- Will Online Marketing Work for Your Business? - July 17, 2014
- Why You Should Market Your Business Online - July 14, 2014