There are millions of blogs on the Internet. With that volume of content, the competition is extraordinary. With that in mind, there are some questions that you should ask yourself before you put any pen to paper, so to speak.
Whether you are a new blogger or you are an experienced blogger who wants to get to a deeper level with your content, the important point is to stay with it no matter what. From a strategic perspective, it is important that you don’t leave your business’s success to chance. If you achieve success, it has to be as a result of all of the time and effort that you have put into writing the content. Before you start writing, there are several questions that you need to ask yourself. The answers to those questions will help you tremendously when it comes to getting business as a result of your content.
- What should you do once you have established your blog?
- What will your blog do for you and your business?
- Are you trying to increase brand awareness?
- Are you trying to sell something?
- Are you trying to build business relationships?
All of the questions above are legitimate reasons for having a blog. However, they are all very different reasons in terms of how your blog is created, written, analyzed and judged. You should focus on one main objective.
- Why do people want to read your blog?
- How is your blog contributing positively to people’s lives?
- Is your blog leading them to valuable resources?
- Does your blog answer their nagging questions?
- Does your blog cause them to think?
- Specifically who are your readers?
- What do they want and need?
- Which other blogs do they read?
Remember that the more you know about your target audience, the more effectively and successfully you can help them.
- What is your call-to-action?
If your blog fits into your social media strategy objectives very effectively, you may want your audience to download longer content from you, subscribe to your blog, or leave a comment for you.
- How will you get people to tell their friends about your blog?
Remember, it is critical that you optimize your blog for the search engines. In addition to the search engines, how else will you get people to talk about your blog to their friends? Your plan should start with basic things such as promoting your blog on your website’s home page and promoting your most popular blog posts in your Email newsletter.
- How many blog posts will you create a month and who will you involve in your social media efforts?
When you first build your blog site, it takes a concerted effort (sometimes by several people) to get it to run successfully. You will need good writers and excellent editors. Your editors will make sure that your content flows, is consistent and captivates your readers. It is also an excellent idea to have a person who devotes their time to your analytics. Regarding the actual creation of the content, the more you do, the better it will be for the success of your blog. You should blog frequently and consistently (at least once or twice a week).
- What are you going to blog about? There are several ways to make sure that the blogs that you write are compelling and interesting. 1. Read a lot of other people’s blogs. 2. Arm yourself with a list of interesting blog topics. 3. Don’t write long articles. 4. Write headlines that grab your readers.
- Once you have written the blog article, what do you do with it? Writing the content is the first step. The second step is syndicating (or sharing) it with as many people as possible. If you have enough blog articles that are related in some way, you can turn a bunch of them into eBooks, Slideshare presentations, podcasts, eNewsletters, etc.
- How will you measure your blog success? The measure of your success is based on your business objectives that you set from the beginning. One tangible metric is your volume of traffic. If you start with a certain volume of traffic and you see that the volume has increased because of changes that you have instituted, that is a measurable success. Another metric is the number of comments you receive from your readers. If the number increases over time, that is a definite measure of success.
It is very important to put the foundation of your social media strategy in place before you do any content creation. If you can answer the questions that were posed in this article, you will be able to build upon them and your direction will be strong and unwavering. It is critical that you have a strong sense of the path before you can achieve all of the goals that you have in mind. Make sure that all of the elements of your writing are highly effective and make the writer feel as though he or she can’t turn away from the content. Planning ahead with ideas that you have worked out to perfection is an incredible approach to take when it comes to your content.
We are pleased to provide you with the insightful comments contained herein. For a free assessment of your online presence, let's have coffee.
Michael Cohn is the founder and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of CompuKol Communications LLC. He has over 25 years of experience in IT and web technologies.
Mr. Cohn founded CompuKol Communications to help small businesses and entrepreneurs increase their exposure and reputation on the Internet. CompuKol consults, creates, and implements communication strategies for small businesses to monopolize their markets with a unique business voice, vision, and visibility.
Prior to that, Mr. Cohn spent a significant amount of time at a major telecommunications company, where his main focus was on initiating and leading synergy efforts across all business units by dramatically improving efficiency, online collaboration, and the company’s Intranet capabilities, which accelerated gains in business productivity. His expertise includes social media marketing strategies; internet marketing; web presence design; business analysis; project management; management of global cross-matrix teams; systems engineering and analysis, architecture, prototyping and integration; technology evaluation and assessment; systems development; performance evaluation; and management of off-shore development.
Mr. Cohn earned a Master’s degree in project management from George Washington University in Washington, DC; and a Master’s degree in computer science and a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from Fairleigh Dickinson University in Teaneck, NJ.
Mr. Cohn is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).
Latest posts by Michael Cohn (see all)
- How to Start Marketing Your Business Online - July 28, 2014
- The Best Ways to Connect With Your Audience on Social Media - July 21, 2014
- Will Online Marketing Work for Your Business? - July 17, 2014