At the root of content marketing is a clear understanding of what your customers need and the ability to satisfy their needs in an informative, compelling manner. Your content should be engaging and should promote further discussions.
There are many ways in which to market content effectively. One of the reasons why content marketing is effective is because it is not pushy. The information that you publish is educational in nature and you don’t ask for anything in return. You can expect people to be receptive to this type of marketing because they don’t feel threatened in any way.
The following are some tips that will help you to accomplish your marketing goals when it comes to online content:
- Establishing trust: Without trust, people will not buy what you are selling. The first thing that you need to do is to listen to your customers. The easiest and most effective way to understand their needs is to ask them questions. Once you understand what their issues are, you can solve them. By offering them useful and informative content, you will be doing just that. The more helpful content you offer them, the stronger your relationship with them will be and the more they will trust you.
- Listen: Listening to what is being said about your company, your customer service, your brand and your competition is the start of your content marketing campaign. Traditional marketing methods for accumulating data for your business include focus groups, customer surveys, and other tools for acquiring customer feedback. Online discussions, however, can be tracked and measured with free tools such as Search.Twitter.com, Google Alerts, etc.
- Pay attention to analytics: It is very important to pay close attention to what people are searching for online. There are tools that allow you to understand which keywords are popular. Web analytics tell you which specific keywords drive traffic to your website and exactly which pages people go to when they want to find answers.
- Stop selling: If you push your products too much in your online content, you will turn off your customers and potential customers. Your customers want to be educated in some way. In other words, they want to learn something from you that they didn’t know before. Not only do they crave the education but they want it with no hard sell attached. No strings attached! When you offer high-quality content to your customers and potential customers, they will start to trust you and to feel that you are credible.
- Publish great-quality content: Content that is well written as well as educational is like a nugget of gold. The content, if written correctly, is enticing and entertaining and it makes the readers feel that they want to return time after time for more. With that in mind, your content marketing campaign must contain top-quality content, which is written by writers who really know how to tell a story well. It is important that you be selective when it comes to deciding which content to publish and make sure that the quality of the content that you publish is always the very best.
- Offer tips: The content that you offer must be informative, insightful and useful to your customers. You should make sure that your content contains helpful tips and sound advice. Tips are very important because very often they turn prospects into customers. Your tips will often either solve your customers’ problems or improve the quality of their lives in some other way. This will cause them to gain more trust in you.
- Talk the talk: It is extremely important for you to have a good handle on how to “speak” with people in your industry. You need to be certain that you have the perfect voice for your audience. You should do a thorough amount of research before you even think about establishing a voice. If you do that, you will be able to connect with your audience more effectively as well as having a better chance of being recognized favorably by the search engines.
- Solve your customers’ problems: You should offer content to your customers that specifically communicates how your products can solve their problems. Always make sure that you follow the marketing principle “WIIFM” (What’s In It For Me?). You can offer the most amazing products and/or services in the universe; however, if those products and services don’t solve your customers’ problems, it won’t matter.
- Write regularly and frequently: It is important to get as much content as possible out there. You should make sure to work content writing and publishing into your weekly schedule. No matter what frequency you choose for this, make sure that you are consistent each week. People will start to look forward to seeing your fresh content on certain days of the week each week.
Content marketing, along with the other types of marketing (online as well as traditional) are all important elements that make up a successful marketing campaign. You should consider that all of the parts need to work together to make the campaign a great success. Content really is an important part of the success of your business. The more useful information you share with your readers, the more they will appreciate your expertise and credibility and the more they will consider you trustworthy.
We are pleased to provide you with the insightful comments contained herein. Please contact us at CompuKol Communications for further discussion on how we might be able to assist you and your team.
About the Author.
Michael Cohn is the founder and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of CompuKol Communications LLC. He has over 25 years of experience in IT and web technologies.
Mr. Cohn founded CompuKol Communications to help small businesses and entrepreneurs increase their exposure and reputation on the Internet. CompuKol consults, creates, and implements communication strategies for small businesses to monopolize their markets with a unique business voice, vision, and visibility.
Prior to that, Mr. Cohn spent a significant amount of time at a major telecommunications company, where his main focus was on initiating and leading synergy efforts across all business units by dramatically improving efficiency, online collaboration, and the company’s Intranet capabilities, which accelerated gains in business productivity. His expertise includes social media marketing strategies; internet marketing; web presence design; business analysis; project management; management of global cross-matrix teams; systems engineering and analysis, architecture, prototyping and integration; technology evaluation and assessment; systems development; performance evaluation; and management of off-shore development.
Mr. Cohn earned a Master’s degree in project management from George Washington University in Washington, DC; and a Master’s degree in computer science and a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from Fairleigh Dickinson University in Teaneck, NJ.
Mr. Cohn is a member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE).