Your online reputation means everything in this day and age of high technology and virtual businesses. You need to constantly work on increasing your exposure and getting people to think of you and your business when they need your offerings.
It is extremely important to be relentless in the management of your online reputation. Doing that may be a bit more difficult than you imagine. First of all, it is critical that you have a really good acquaintanceship with the social media channels with which you are connected and you need to commit a specific amount of time to your presence and reputation on a very regular basis (either every day or a set number of times per week, on specific days of the week). There is no doubt that being consistently active on social media channels will help you to become more successful in business and you will start to notice (within a few months) that your business will start to gather a momentum that is different than what you had before.
If you happen to work with other people, it is very important to get them involved in your social media efforts. If you work alone, you need to be as consistent and as persistent as you possibly can. Before too long, people will start to recognize your consistent efforts and they will start to respond in kind.
What you should do to get your social media efforts to produce positive results
Pay a great deal of attention to the Internet
It is critical that you pay attention to what people are writing about you and your business online. Listening will definitely serve you very well (sometimes it will serve you better than speaking)! Of course, listening is not an easy skill to acquire. It will take a great deal of effort on your part but once you learn how to listen, you will be able to extract a great deal of valuable information from other people. In addition to reading what people are writing about you and your company, you should also search for relevant information about your niche or industry. What your competitors are doing on the Internet and what influencers are saying are very valuable pieces of information for your business. The information that you gather will undoubtedly prove valuable to your business.
Write content that is attractive to other people
If you can write content that acts like a magnet to your readers. This will increase your online exposure tremendously. If you increase your online exposure, you will also increase your search engine rankings. People can tell all of their online connections about how wonderful your offerings are (whether they are products, services or a combination of the two). You would be surprised at how much good people can do when it comes to promoting your business.
Pay close attention to analytics
Paying attention to analytics is critical to the success of your business. The data that you will be able to gather will be very valuable and it will allow you to identify patterns so that you can tell figure out what you are doing correctly and what you need to tweak and make improvements upon. It is important to have a grasp on the big picture as well as being able to dissect the pieces and change and improve what needs to be changed and improved.
Content marketing tips to follow
There are many different possible approaches when it comes to boosting your reputation and improving your content to the point where it really buzzes and people just can’t get enough. Some of the concepts are simple and some are a little more sophisticated.
- Choose your words wisely: Nobody likes a long-winded article that doesn’t seem to end. When it comes to content, it is important to choose your words wisely because they really need to count. More is less when it comes to content.
- Always gear your content to your clients and prospective clients: One of the main reasons that you are sharing content is so that people will benefit from what you are sharing and will want to conncect with you on a deeper level. Your eventual goal is to get them to buy what you are selling and they will never do that if you don’t fulfill some need of theirs.
- Give the perception that you are a business person who blogs, not a blogger for business: You are a business person who has discovered that blogging is an extremely powerful tool to get your message across to a very large number of people. You aren’t blogging recreationally. You are serious about what you are trying to accomplish.
- Always take a strong stand: It never pays to be wishy-washy. People will always respect you more if you pick a side and stick with it loyally. It is important for people to really understand what you believe in so that they can figure out if you have that in common.
- Write some of your content from the perspective of those who share it: As anyone who shares content online, one of your objectives is to get other people to share it with people they know and trust. When it comes to writing content, your mindset should always be that your content will give value to other people and that your readers will love it so much that they must share it with other people.
- Make sure that you always add value with your content: You may ask yourself why you would possibly share your content if not to add value. Of course, there are levels of value and the more you give to other people, the greater your chances will be that they will be moved by what you are giving to them.
- Write in clear, concise language: The simpler and more concise the language in your content, the more effective it will be. Your “written” voice should always be genuine, respectful and very easy to grasp.
- Set up deadlines and always meet them: The business world is a world that is totally driven by deadlines. If you make a commitment to finish something by a certain date (and possibly even a certain time), you must do everything in your power to make it happen. People will learn to count on that.
In this day and age of high technology and so many tools that are at your fingertips, it is important to think like a social media expert so that you are able to leverage social media for all that it has to offer. The more effectively you use it, the more it will work for you and your business. Whatever you do, you need to feel confident in the fact that you add value to what you share with others. Just remember that you need to make the commitment, be consistent and keep at it.
We are pleased to provide you with the insightful comments contained herein. For a free assessment of your online presence, let’s have coffee.
Michael Cohn is the founder and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of CompuKol Communications LLC. He has over 25 years of experience in IT and web technologies.
Mr. Cohn founded CompuKol Communications to help small businesses and entrepreneurs increase their exposure and reputation on the Internet. CompuKol consults, creates, and implements communication strategies for small businesses to monopolize their markets with a unique business voice, vision, and visibility.
Prior to that, Mr. Cohn spent a significant amount of time at a major telecommunications company, where his main focus was on initiating and leading synergy efforts across all business units by dramatically improving efficiency, online collaboration, and the company’s Intranet capabilities, which accelerated gains in business productivity. His expertise includes social media marketing strategies; internet marketing; web presence design; business analysis; project management; management of global cross-matrix teams; systems engineering and analysis, architecture, prototyping and integration; technology evaluation and assessment; systems development; performance evaluation; and management of off-shore development.
Mr. Cohn earned a Master’s degree in project management from George Washington University in Washington, DC; and a Master’s degree in computer science and a Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from Fairleigh Dickinson University in Teaneck, NJ.
Latest posts by Michael Cohn (see all)
- The Facets of a Social Network - April 20, 2015
- Better Branding with Hashtags - April 13, 2015
- Ensuring that Your Homepage Satisfies Your Visitors - April 6, 2015
- Answering Important Questions About Your Social Brand - April 2, 2015
- Knowing When to Marry or Divorce Your Clients - March 30, 2015